Tree Planting Tips
1. Dig the hole 2-3 times wider than the root ball and no deeper than the root flare (the wide area where the trunk joins the root system).2. If planting a balled and burlapped tree, remove all rope, burlap and metal wires from at least the top third of the root ball.
3. If planting a container or bare root tree, spread the roots so they are not wrapped around each other or the root flare.
4. Backfill with existing unamended soil and pack lightly.
5. Water thoroughly.
6. Cover with 2-3 inches of mulch, but don’t allow the mulch to touch the trunk.
7. Prune only broken branches, and remove all tags.
8. Water your newly planted tree with 5 gallons of water per inch of trunk diameter once a week during the first three growing seasons.
How to plan, plant, and maintain your tree (by the Ohio Division of Forestry)